Current Version: 18.104.22.1681 (March 19, 2010)
Vienna is a freeware, open source RSS/Atom reader for the Mac OS X operating system. It provides features comparable to commercial newsreaders but it is both it and the source code are freely available for download. Features include:
- Simple, uncluttered UI - Vienna's user interface is intentionally kept sparse as so to only present you with the controls you absolutely need. All other functionality is moved to the menus.
- Support for RSS and Atom feeds - Vienna supports both RSS 2.0 and Atom feeds. It automatically takes care of deciphering and presenting the articles in a consistent format regardless of the original feed format.
- Smart Folders - Create folders whose contents are dynamically determined by criteria that you specify. When you view the folder, Vienna automatically displays all articles meeting that criteria.
- Folder groups - Organize your subscriptions into groups and you can even create groups within groups.
- Import and Export - Import your subscriptions from Bloglines or any other RSS reader that exports in OPML format. Similarly export your subscriptions to an OPML format file for importing elsewhere.
- Scheduled Refresh - Refresh your subscriptions automatically every 30 minutes or every 1, 2 or 6 hours.
- Flagged Articles - Flag articles of interest and view them together via the Marked Articles smart folder.
- Reading Panes - Choose your reading pane layout. Put it below the articles or to the right, whichever orientation works best for you.
- Styles - Change your style in which articles are presented from any of the built-in custom styles. Or create your own styles with a bit of knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Version 22.214.171.1241 adds/changes the following:
- User Interface refresh: Removed the grey headers, made the vertical divider easier to grab and made filtering more discoverable.
- Added support for plugins.
- Added support for search engine plugins and the ability to do web-searches from the toolbar.
- Added support for blog editor plugins.
- Added support for sharing plugins that work like bookmarklets for social websites.
- Added support for script plugins.
- Added Share With Facebook button.
- Added Share With Evernote button.
- Added Share With Twitter button with automatic URL shortening via bit.ly.
- Added user contributed "Share with Delicious" plugin to the core distribution.
- Update to the current version of Sparkle, which prevents auto-updating to a version of Vienna which will not run on the user's system.
- Fix bug where deleting a feed in Unified view mode would cause Vienna to stop working correctly.
- Fix bug where changing the article font size would crash Vienna.
- Fix bug that caused zombiefied update spinners.
- Fix bug that caused the reading position to be lost upon refresh.
See the blog for the detailed history of changes.
Currently, no user reviews have been submitted. Send me yours!